To provide progressive outdoor sports opportunities to improve quality of life for children, adults and veterans with physical disabilities and their families.
Adaptive Adventures was founded in 1999 by two individuals with physical disabilities. They saw a need for adventure and sport opportunities outside of competitive adaptive sports for people with physical disabilities. Adaptive Adventures has served over 100,000 participants and their families from all 50 states.
Adaptive Adventures main office is located in Lakewood, Colorado with a satellite office in Franklin Park, Illinois. Adaptive Adventures provides ongoing programs, camps and clinics in cycling, climbing, kayaking, paddleboarding, dragon boat racing, skiing, snowboarding, waterskiing, wakeboarding and rafting.
Unlike site based adaptive sports organizations, Adaptive Adventures travels the country to provide direct program services, training and resources to establish sustainable programs in unserved and underserved communities. Adaptive Adventures serves over 30 states, Puerto Rico and Canada each year. Adaptive Adventures partners with over 180 community partners including: rehab hospitals, park districts, VA medical centers, military hospitals, veteran service organizations, outfitters, gyms and other adaptive sport programs. We believe in FREEDOM through Mobility for our participants and in our program structure.
Adaptive Adventures programming is offered to participants and their families free of charge or significantly subsidized. Adaptive Adventures believes cost should never be a barrier to someone's participation in quality outdoor adaptive sport opportunities.
That all individuals with physical disabilities have access to participation in outdoor sports regardless of their location, equipment needs, or economic status.
- To improve quality of life for children, adults and veterans with physical disabilities through year-round participation in adaptive sports
- To offer engaging programs that encourage socialization, family participation and inclusive community integration
- To provide cutting edge adaptive equipment and sport specific skill development to promote independence
- To engage and train, committed and diverse volunteers, staff and board members to increase the capacity and quality of programs
- To serve underserved areas through the Adaptive Adventures mobile program throughout the country